Friday, July 17, 2009

What's that old saying?

Something like "Anything worthwhile doesn't come easy!" lol. Seems like one thing after another with trying to start up a new business. I am get irritated easily and I am becoming extremely impatient lately, not great qualities I know, but I am trying to stay positive.

Well that wonderful building I spoke of fell through. The landlord did not have the building equipped for handicap access therefore that has to be taken care of before I can have a retail store there according to parish government regulations, and he decided that it was too much trouble and doesn't want to rent it for retail now. So this is why I haven't written anything in a few days.

I have been driving around and looking at commercial buildings for lease. On Wednesday, I found one! So I paid the deposit and first month's rent and am ready to move in. Yesterday, I went to fill out the form to get my occupational license, and they said that I first have to get a letter from the Parish Zoning Board to confirm it is a proper commercial location, blah, blah, blah. So over to the zoning board I go, fill out the forms, and had to draw a diagram of the lot etc.. I finished that and went back yesterday afternoon to hand it in..PROBLEM! Apparently the building I rented "supposedly" doesn't have enough parking spaces to accomodate a retail location. I am supposed to have 12.5 parking spaces (What the hell is a .5 parking space LOL??) so I had to call the landlord, and he has to file a parking variance, basically so that I can operate my business even though I don't have the required off-street parking available.

So now that is being filed today. It has to be brought in front of the zoning board people and they will rule to give us an exception or not. From what I understand, this is common practice in St. Bernard Parish, because it is a small town recovering from hurricane damage, so this happens with alot of businesses. Long story short, it will be another 2-3 weeks before I can get my occupational license. Good news is that the landlord told me that I can go ahead and set up shop and that he wont charge me rent during this time while we are waiting for the zoning issue to be resolved. I can't open to the public, but at least I can have everything ready for when I can open.

stay positive..stay positive.. stay positive.. sorry i was talking to myself there.

Sunday we are going to start getting things going. I promise new pictures for the next blog entry.

Oh, and those Sega CD games sold for $25.00... sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment